The Office of Diversity and Equity loves Ill Doctrine!
Thanks to our fantastic 2012 Martin Luther King Jr Day Committee we now have a great plan for the week of Jan 9-Jan 18. Please participate and encourage your students to take part in a week of learning and service in honor of Dr. King's life and work.
Many thanks to Sheila Emery, our Chief Human Resources Officer, for sharing this powerful and eloquent speech by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton demanding a global consensus on the human rights of LGBTQ people worldwide. It is well worth your time to watch!
For a nice article on the speech, click here.
Save the Date!!!
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Education, Day of Service, and Celebration
“I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits. I believe that what self-centered men have torn down, men other-centered can build up.”
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. December 10, 1964
Education week: January 9-13, 2012
“Educate, Empower, & Inspire Yourself and Others”
Each day this week a series of workshops/forums will be held.
· “The People Speak” screening: this film, based on Howard Zinn’s classic book A People’s History of the United States, celebrates the voices of people in the US who challenged the status quo in order to achieve greater justice and equity.
· Break down what you know or want to know about Martin Luther King, Jr.’s life beyond his “I have a dream” speech.
· Compare messages from Tupac Shakur’s music to the messages Dr. King was communicating through the civil rights movement.
· Develop skills to become an ally and advocate within your community for social justice issues, and to form coalitions among many groups.
· Learn about the other people involved with the civil rights movement and the role they played.
· A “sit-in” style luncheon on the last day – Where do we go from here?
Day ON not a day off: January 16, 2012
“Be Great in Your Community: SPSCC Day of Service 2012”
SPSCC MLK Celebration : January 17, 2012
Celebrate the many voices and talents of our SPSCC community at an open mic in the SUB
Help us recognize all our volunteers!
For more information about any of these events, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of Diversity and Equity
We are here to serve the diverse community of South Puget Sound Community College, and to help make SPSCC a place that supports the success of all learners.