We were fortunate to host a Speakers' Bureau training last Tuesday. Among the many topics covered were:
- Glossary of terms commonly used in discussing LGBTQI issues
- The gender binary: is gender all about being "male" or "female"? Hint: it isn't.
- Intersections of oppression: why you can't navigate gender in the classroom if you're not also navigating race, class, religion, ability and more!
- The allyship checklist: One gem: "ally" isn't an identity. It's an action.
- Support Skills brainstorm: how do students want to be supported by faculty and staff? What do faculty and staff wish they knew more about?
Some of their handouts are included below. Also, please see http://decspscc.weebly.com/lgbtqi-students.html
for other resources!